Monday, February 13, 2012

T-Shirt Rug!!

Alrighty!!  You're probably wondering....  HUH?!  Well.  I'll tell you!
First... I'd like to say that I'm writing this, because I've had a few ask 
me how I made mine.  It's a tedious process, takes a while, and there 
are blisters involved.....  HOWEVER...
The end result is FANTASTIC!! (lol)

I found the original idea here - Rags By Sock Monkey  (which I found
 by using Pinterest)  All I did, was upped the 'ante' a bit so to speak.  
Maybe I should start calling it my "Scrap Rug" or... my "Anything rug',
 since it's not just T-shirts.
Anyway...

Be prepared for ALOT of cutting.... blisters, a sore hiney, and many 
more small obstacles in your journey into rug making.... lol.  It's well worth
 it though, these rugs are extremely awesome and incredibly comfy!!!  
The original calls for just T-shirts, but for me.. I wanted to  explore more 
options.  SO, I incorporated sweatshirts, 
sweatpants, fleece pullovers, you name
it, I was using it!

The following photos are two rugs I've made.


This is my first.  Trial and error rug.  I made it using a T-shirt as 
the base....  The end result?  The holes in the T-shirt stretch 
big time and the 'tie' pieces are constantly falling out.  
(FRUSTRATING!!)

Here is my second rug..  


Learning from the first, I decided to make the base
a sweatshirt piece instead, and using string, I stitched one small
 little stitch into each 'tie' piece to ensure they'd stay in. Whalaaa!!  
It worked!  So this is the 'tutorial' I'll give to you all.

Ready??
Ok first.  Collect all the shirts, sweats, etc. that you're planning on
using.  I always think of a color scheme I'd like to do...  
whether it's grays, pinks, blues, etc.  This one I'm going to
show you all, I chose purples.  This is going to be my personal
rug....as I LOVE purple!!  Anyhoo...
Once you gather all the items you're going to be using, start
cutting strips.  You probably want to keep them about an inch
wide or so (it doesn't have to be exact, just guess-timate!)
You'll also want to cut them about 6 inches long (again,
you don't have to be exact, we'll trim later).
Get some string (thread) and a needle too, that way
all your supplies are handy with you.  I always sit on the 
floor to do my crafting, it's just easier...and the space is so
much bigger!!

Anyway...  Grab a sweatshirt or fleece pullover for your base.
Cut a big square out.  Look at my pic for an example.


Once you've cut out your "base"... start by cutting or poking
little holes into it, in lines, you can do as many holes as you'd like.
I didn't measure or anything, between holes was about a 'finger
space'.


I spread it out a bit, so you could see how I did my holes.
Ok.  By now you should have your strips cut too... If not,
go ahead and start cutting!!  I use every possible section
of clothing to cut from... and I love using sweats rather
than just T-shirts.  They hold up so much better.
Got your strips ready?


LOL... ALOT of cutting!!!

Ok.  Now we're ready to go.
Figure out your pattern, etc. before you start... this way you have
an idea on what you're going to do.
It's almost like weaving, but not quite.  Confused?
Grab your first strip, (I always work with the bottom
of the rug up, it's easier to feed the strips through and
keep track of my pattern) if working with the bottom
up like I do, the shove one end of the strip in the first hole
and the second end in the one right above it.


Taking your next strip... shove the first end into the hole
that the second end of your first strip went in.  Then shove the
other end into the hole above it.  Now, just with those two
strips, you should have only used 3 holes.  I hope that hasn't
confused you!!  Aside from the end holes, all the other holes
will be double used by the strips.
Keep going until you're done!!
I made a pattern on mine, which is easy to do... if you can't tell
what it is, it's a heart!


When you're finished threading your pieces through... you
can stop here, or reinforce the rug, like I do... so you're not
constantly picking up strips that happen to fall out (all the time!)

This is where you grab a needle and some string (I use
string because it's stronger than just thread).
Start with the beginning strip in a line pinch both ends together
and move your fingers towards the bottom of the strip, pinch both
ends together and push the needle through the front,
then through the back.  I do this twice, then tie
it off in a double knot.


Snip the ends off close to the bottom of the rug, careful
not to cut the knot off!!


This is the MOST time consuming part of the rug making
process, but well worth it!!  After threading the string
and such, I trim off the ends of the strips, so they're all
kind of one length.  You can make them as long or as 
short as you'd like them.

DONE!!  Here's the back of my rug...


And here's the front!!
(Photo was taken with a different camera,
so it looks different, but it's really not!)



If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me
and I'll help ya' anyway I can.

I hope you enjoyed this!!
I'd love to see any rugs you guys come up with!!






No comments:

Post a Comment